Modern Foreign Languages
"Good language skills are a real asset in any job; in our twenty first century global marketplace, the ability to communicate in a foreign language and understand the culture behind that language is of vital importance."
The aims and purpose of the Modern Foreign Languages department are to:
- Foster a love of languages, and excitement for language learning, in students.
- Provide students with a first-hand experience of the language through direct contact with native speakers on language exchanges and immersion language trips abroad.
- Broaden students’ experience and knowledge as they discover new cultures and get to know a different country.
- Build upon skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing to enable students to communicate confidently and independently.
- Provide students with opportunities to see the value and importance of learning languages in a multicultural society and on the international stage.
- Foster an understanding of how languages may improve their job prospects and provide them with opportunities to live and work abroad in the future.
In Year 7, students study either French or Spanish and continue studying this language until GCSE.
KS3 Programme of Study
- Click here to read the year 7 French programme of study
- Click here to read the year 8 French programme of study
- Click here to read the year 9 French programme of study
- Click here to read the year 7 Spanish programme of study
- Click here to read the year 8 Spanish programme of study
- Click here to read the year 9 Spanish programme of study
All students take a language at GCSE, either at Foundation or Higher Level.
Students have terminal examination in four skills (listening, reading, speaking, and writing), which have equal weightings (i.e. 25% each).
In Year 10, students will have the opportunities to do a mock speaking examination in the terminal examination format. This will provide them with valuable experience for the actual GCSE speaking examination.
KS4 Programme of Study
Every year, we enter a large number of native speakers for a GCSE in their home language.
Languages undertaken in the past have included: Russian, Polish, Italian, Irish, Persian, Arabic, Chinese Mandarin, Chinese Cantonese, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, German and Greek.
We are also a centre for students taking AS qualifications in Portuguese and Spanish at the Portuguese and Spanish schools operating on site. These students usually achieve top grades.
A diverse range of clubs and activities are offered by the MFL department. In addition, we also run collaborative and cross-curricular enrichment days for KS3.
Collaborative and cross-curricular enrichment activities include:
- Christmas from around the world (Year 7)
- MFL Spelling Bee competition (Year 7 and 8)
- Chinese Club (Year 7 and 8)
- TAFAL -Teach a Friend A Language (Year 8)
- Brazil /Filipino Day - a cross-curricular event organised by MFL, Music, & Art (KS3)
- Residential language immersion visit to Maison Claire Fontaine, France (Years 7, 8 and 9)
- Residential trip to Spain, including collaboration with our Spanish Exchange School, la Salle, Santander (years 7, 8 and 9)
For further information about MFL qualifications please contact Ms C Elsted